Re: [Mendobirds] Ten Mile sightings

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2006
      Mon, 23 Jan 2006 -- Jan and I also saw the male and female LONG-TAILED
      DUCKS at Ten-Mile at 3:00 this afternoon, as did Toby at about 11:00 this
      morning. They were spending 90% of their time underwater. I think the
      adult, winter males are one of the most beautiful of the waterfowl - right
      up there with Hooded Merganser and Wood Duck.
      At sunset this evening Jan and I also drove the Reynolds Highway
      near Willits and found the SANDHILL CRANE with the turkeys again near
      milemarker 2.14. By my odometer this is 1.5 miles from 101. Some people
      have missed it, but it is still around. 68 turkeys, 1 crane. The turkeys
      were definitely aggressive toward the crane, but at one point the crane
      appeared to be dancing with a tom turkey. The two were leaping 3-4 feet in
      the air face to face in the manner of cranes. Bizarre.
      On January 8th Matthew Matthiessen, Chuck Vaughn, and I saw a
      banded, adult WESTERN GULL sitting on the entrance sign to Van Damme State
      Park. It had an aluminum band and a black color band on the left leg, and I
      was able to read the entire number, 2406 01341, through my telescope at
      about 20 feet. Today I received word back that this gull was banded on 24
      Jun 1989 near the Farallon Islands as a juvenile too young to fly. When
      we saw it, it was about halfway through its 17th year!

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • Demian Ebert
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
        Good evening-
        George's email of last week jogged my memory. Chuck Vaughn and I saw a
        banded gull at Van Damme several years ago. I started wondering if it was
        the same bird. So today, in a true test of the data base, I queried Western
        Gull, Van Damme, 1996 (cause George told me that was the year). Lo and
        behold, there are two records: March 2 and March 24, 1996. The bird in
        question was banded on the left leg, black color band above the knee, metal
        band below that bearing the numbers 2406 01341. I can't seem to find the
        report I got from the Bird Banding Lab, but obviously it's the same bird.

        It's amazing that it's been 10 years between observations. And that when
        re-found, it was at the same beach.

        Demian

        On 1/23/06, chaniot@... <chaniot@...> wrote:

        > <snip>

        On January 8th Matthew Matthiessen, Chuck Vaughn, and I saw a
        banded, adult WESTERN GULL sitting on the entrance sign to Van Damme State
        Park. It had an aluminum band and a black color band on the left leg, and I
        was able to read the entire number, 2406 01341, through my telescope at
        about 20 feet. Today I received word back that this gull was banded on 24
        Jun 1989 near the Farallon Islands as a juvenile too young to fly. When
        we saw it, it was about halfway through its 17th year!

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links