Ten Mile sightings

  • Jessica Morton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2006
      Saturday afternoon around 4, both male and female Long-Tailed ducks
      were seen diving in the same west-of-the-bridge spot in Ten Mile
      River, near Goldeneye, Bufflehead, a lone Clark's Grebe, Scoter, and
      a male Merganser loyally swimming alongside his dead mate as she was
      carried back and forth by the river tides.
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2006
        Mon, 23 Jan 2006 -- Jan and I also saw the male and female LONG-TAILED
        DUCKS at Ten-Mile at 3:00 this afternoon, as did Toby at about 11:00 this
        morning. They were spending 90% of their time underwater. I think the
        adult, winter males are one of the most beautiful of the waterfowl - right
        up there with Hooded Merganser and Wood Duck.
        At sunset this evening Jan and I also drove the Reynolds Highway
        near Willits and found the SANDHILL CRANE with the turkeys again near
        milemarker 2.14. By my odometer this is 1.5 miles from 101. Some people
        have missed it, but it is still around. 68 turkeys, 1 crane. The turkeys
        were definitely aggressive toward the crane, but at one point the crane
        appeared to be dancing with a tom turkey. The two were leaping 3-4 feet in
        the air face to face in the manner of cranes. Bizarre.
        On January 8th Matthew Matthiessen, Chuck Vaughn, and I saw a
        banded, adult WESTERN GULL sitting on the entrance sign to Van Damme State
        Park. It had an aluminum band and a black color band on the left leg, and I
        was able to read the entire number, 2406 01341, through my telescope at
        about 20 feet. Today I received word back that this gull was banded on 24
        Jun 1989 near the Farallon Islands as a juvenile too young to fly. When
        we saw it, it was about halfway through its 17th year!

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • Demian Ebert
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
          Good evening-
          George's email of last week jogged my memory. Chuck Vaughn and I saw a
          banded gull at Van Damme several years ago. I started wondering if it was
          the same bird. So today, in a true test of the data base, I queried Western
          Gull, Van Damme, 1996 (cause George told me that was the year). Lo and
          behold, there are two records: March 2 and March 24, 1996. The bird in
          question was banded on the left leg, black color band above the knee, metal
          band below that bearing the numbers 2406 01341. I can't seem to find the
          report I got from the Bird Banding Lab, but obviously it's the same bird.

          It's amazing that it's been 10 years between observations. And that when
          re-found, it was at the same beach.

          Demian

          On 1/23/06, chaniot@... <chaniot@...> wrote:

          > <snip>

          On January 8th Matthew Matthiessen, Chuck Vaughn, and I saw a
          banded, adult WESTERN GULL sitting on the entrance sign to Van Damme State
          Park. It had an aluminum band and a black color band on the left leg, and I
          was able to read the entire number, 2406 01341, through my telescope at
          about 20 feet. Today I received word back that this gull was banded on 24
          Jun 1989 near the Farallon Islands as a juvenile too young to fly. When
          we saw it, it was about halfway through its 17th year!

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA

          these addresses:

          Yahoo! Groups Links