Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Jan 22, 2006
      At Borax Lake, the number of scaup along the east side
      increased dramatically within the past week, with
      about 2350 present today. Among them were at least two
      male TUFTED DUCKS (I wouldn't be surprised if there
      were more), each with a pure black back and long tuft.
      A lone female REDHEAD was on the west side of the
      lake.

      Two male BARROW'S GOLDENEYES were in a cove on the
      north side of Clearlake Oaks this afternoon.

      Other than 500 or so BONAPARTE'S GULLS (nothing
      unusual among them despite an hour of scanning) north
      of Clearlake Park, there were only a few hundred gulls
      present both yesterday and today in the southwestern
      arm of Clear Lake, much fewer than normal. This
      afternoon I found out why: thousands of gulls were out
      on the water at Clearlake Oaks in the southeastern arm
      of the lake, where foraging conditions must have been
      optimal but the light and viewing conditions were
      poor. Along the east shore of Clear Lake there were
      hardly any gulls to the north, with only about a half
      dozen at Lucerne Harbor. I saw nothing more unusual
      than a couple of adult WESTERN GULLS (one at
      Clearlake, one at Clearlake Oaks).

      A leucistic EARED GREBE with a few dark markings on
      the back and some darker markings on the head was
      within an enormous raft of several thousand EARED
      GREBES north of Clearlake Park on Saturday, but I was
      unable to relocate it today.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
    • stevestump