Buff-breasted Sandpiper

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
      Greetings Mendobirders: Early this afternoon George Chaniot, Matthew
      Matthiesson, and I found a juvenile Buff-breasted Sandpiper on Ten Mile
      Beach at the northern end of McKerricher SP north of Fort Bragg. The bird
      was seen about 0.5 miles south of the main access to the beach from where
      the old Haul Road runs parallel to Ten Mile River. It was feeding on
      amphipods along the kelp rack which had washed up on the beach. It was
      very approachable and still there when we left.

      Of local interest were 2 Long-billed Curlews, also along Ten Mile beach,
      and 12 Elegant Terns seen feeding near-shore off Laguna Point.

      Chuck Vaughn

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 22, 2002
        Thu, 22 Aug 2002 -- At 9:00 this morning Toby found a BUFF-BREASTED
        SANDPIPER at Glass Beach in Fort Bragg. It was north of the main beach in
        some fresh kelp.
        Yesterday there was also an early female CANVASBACK at Caspar Pond
        and a LESSER YELLOWLEGS at the Caspar Creek estuary.
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 23, 2002
          Fri, 23 Aug 2002 -- The BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER reported yesterday from
          Glass Beach in Fort Bragg was still there this morning.
        • K A Havlena
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 28, 2013
            Wed, 28 Sep 2013 -- Dorothy Tobkin found a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER this morning, but it flew south with several Semipalmated Sandpipers.  She first saw the bird in dry sand at the north end of Ward Avenue, Cleone, with about 20 peeps and plovers.  Then, the small group mentioned above, flew south.  I will check Virgin Creek beach this afternoon and will post again if it can be found.

            For Dorothy "Toby" Tobkin

            (K Havlena)
            North of Fort Bragg, MEN, Ca

          • stevestump
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2013
              09/03/13 1025 am   There is a Buff-breasted Sandpiper at the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant in the middle pond. Steve Stump
            • stevestump
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2013
                 Buff-breasted Sandpiper at the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant   Photo at http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/9664122487/     Steve Stump

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 28, 2014
                          On 9/26 and 9/27 Doug Forsell has seen a Buff-breasted Sandpiper on
                          Manchester Beach near Stonesboro Road hike over the dunes (N about 100
                          yards on Fri and on Sat S about 200 yards) in the upper beach wrack
                          area. Hanging out with Snowy Plovers so please be careful of disturbance.
                          Diane Hichwa

                          Email: dhichwa@...

                          Telephone: 707-785-1922 (Sea Ranch)
                          707-483-3130 (cell)