Black-crowned Night Heron Seen 1/17/06 Ukiah

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2006
      Hello,
      Tues, 17 January at 8:45 AM, I saw the adult Black-crowned Night Heron
      at the north junction of Pomo Dr, Yosemite & Washo Dr in the Oak Manor
      area of Ukiah east of Hwy 101.
      The adult bird was in the NE most tree looking north. I could not find the
      juvenile. But, because of having to peer over the house in front of the
      redwood trees, I did not look particularly hard for the young bird, having
      seen the adult rather easily.

      On my way home, I briefly looked for the Sandhill Crane on Reynolds
      Hwy at mi post 2.14, but did not see it. There is a huge flooded, shallow
      lake nearby where it could easily be hiding out. No turkeys were out
      in the open either. This was around 11 AM, but it was pretty dark and
      rainy, so I took the chance. Luckily, Jim and I saw the bird last week.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg