Black-crowned Night Heron

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2006
      Saturday - January 14, 2006 - Black-crowned Night Herons continue to roost in the backyard clump of Redwood Trees on the north end of Pomo Drive in Oak Manor subdivision (east side of Highway 101, between Gobbi and Perkins exits) in Ukiah. The clump of trees can be viewed from both Pomo and Washo, so almost all sides of the trees can be viewed. During stormy weather the birds are usually tucked way into the foliage and out of sight, when weather is better they venture farther out onto the limbs and into view. I usually see them on the south/south east side of the clump of trees, about half-way up the trees. On Ssturday I saw an adult and an immature. Please be courteous using binoculars in the subdivision as you peering ove rthe top of houses to see the trees. Bob Keiffer

    • Robert Keiffer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 27, 2011
        27 May 2011 - I just saw an adult Black-crowned Night Heron on the pond across from Fern Canyon Road on Old River Road. This is about two miles south of Talmage. It is of interest because we have the traditional winter roost of 30+ birds near Oak Manor at Ukiah, yet we have no documented records of the species nesting in the county. There are records of summer-time juveniles ...but ones that can already fly ... but no actual nests have been found. This adult bird today tells me that we have a nesting colony somewhere near, maybe along the Russian River in the willows?? They will also nest in expanses tules/cattails (maybe Hunters' lagoon at Manchester State Beach for example). Anyway, please keep an eye out for Black-crowned Night Herons going to and from and area during crepuscular (dawn and dusk) time periods. Hopefully someone will locate a nest colony this season so we can include it in our county-wide effort of "heronry" surveys. Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 3 , May 28, 2011
          On May 24 at about 2 p.m. I saw a Black-crowned Night Heron in Ukiah flying
          south near the Starbucks near Perkins and Route 101. It was an adult and
          did not appear to be carrying food, but it made me wonder if there might be
          nesting in the vicinity. That's pretty close to the Oak Manor winter roost.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA