Ukiah Wastewater Plant- access ruled

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2001
      Greetings Mendobirders: Those of you have birded at the Ukiah Wastewater
      Treatment Plant the last 3 weeks have noticed a big change: all the gates
      at the east end of the oxidation ponds which provided access to the Russian
      River have been locked. Thanks to some very diplomatic negotiations by
      Barbara Dolan of the Peregrine Audubon Chapter, the issue of access to the
      river has been resolved. Barbara has asked me to post this note of
      explanation on mendobirds, and to emphasize the importance of following the
      requested checking in procedures. Thanks!

      The Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant Changes: The UWTP is one of the jewels
      for birding interior Mendocino County. Not only do locals enjoy it as a
      haven but fellow Birders also drop by from afar. One of the big changes
      that has occurred is the rebuilding of a chain link fence with locked gates
      at the River edge. This change has occurred to provide protection of the
      Pond Habitat and Wildlife and we can be helpful by being aware of the
      purpose. The Wastewater Treatment Supervisor, Jerry Gall, and the
      Operators want us to have knowledge and access to the Ponds for
      Birding. They realize in their hospitality to us that the Pond areas are
      crucial for birding pleasure and that they have a role for passerines,
      waterfowl, raptors, and shorebirds as a place to land, feed and restore as
      the birds go back and forth to their breeding and winter grounds.

      There are new hours from 7:30AM to 3:30PM. The UWTP Staff are
      supportive of Birders having access. They ask that on arrival we each sign
      in , thus a sign-in board has been established. The sign-in board will be
      located inside the office building which is the building to your left
      (north) as you enter the parking area. The sign in list requires "a check"
      that you have left the premises. Jerry Gall wants to keep track of numbers
      of birders as 'a positive'. For access to the riparian edge, the
      operators will unlock the lock of one gate during their open
      hours. Please follow this process of access. Leave the gate closed.

      We really appreciate the consideration we are being provided and we
      appreciate the staff want to be protective of the wildlife.