Continuing Sandhill Crane

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2006
      Mon, Jan 9, 2006 - I apologize for this belated report but the SANDHILL CRANE was still present north of Willits on Mon at noon. The bird was west of the Reynolds Hwy at mm 2.14. It was associating with a group of Wild Turkeys although this association did not appear to be mutual. On several occasions I watched the crane get chased away from the group by an aggressive turkey. The crane would wander back only to be chased off again.

      Good Craning,
      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2006
        Tuesday - 24 January 2006 - 11:00AM to noon - The Sandhill Crane continues
        at mile marker 2.14 Reynolds Highway, which is east of Hwy 101 and north of
        Willits. The bird continues to associate with a large flock of Wild
        Turkeys, of which I watched two different turkeys try to run the crane off
        without success. The crane and the flock moved out-of-sight into the
        thick trees heading west towards the water. I was unable to get close
        enough to establish an actual height of the bird ....it would be nice to
        determine if it is a Lesser or Greater Sandhill.

        About a 1/2 mile south on Reynolds Highway I was able to scope two Bald
        Eagles, one mature and one first winter bird, atop wood fence posts in the
        middle of the flooded valley. Also nearby were numerous White-tailed Kites
        and a Northern Harrier.

        On the flooded water on the far north end of the valley (pullout on the
        west side of Reynolds with lots of garbage) were various species of
        waterfowl, including 10 Common Goldeneyes.

        Good birding. Bob Keiffer

        Robert J. Keiffer
        Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        UC Hopland Research & Extension Center