Sandhill Crane near Willits

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2006
      Sun, 08 Jan 2006 -- A SANDHILL CRANE is being seen in the Little Lake
      Valley NE of Willits. It was first found and photographed by Jim Harrison,
      who lives in Willits, on 28 Dec, but it did not become known to the wider
      birding community until after the New Year. It has been seen at various
      locations along the Reynolds Highway on both the east and west sides of the
      road. Today Chuck Vaughn and I found it just north of milemarker 2.14 on
      the west side of the road. It appears to be an immature and is so small
      that it must be a Lesser Sandhill Crane. It prefers the company of Wild
      Turkeys. <http://www.PeregrineAudubon.org/SACR.html>, and probably the best
      way to find it is to drive the Reynolds Highway and look for turkeys. This
      is about the sixth record for Mendocino County.
      Other birds of interest which we saw today were a BALD EAGLE
      sitting in a tree on the east side of 101 about 3 miles north of Willits,
      the continuing LONG-TAILED DUCK at Ten Mile River (today it was about 300 y
      upstream on the east side of the bridge), several BLACK SCOTERS at Ward
      Avenue, a very tame CACKLING GOOSE at the Lake Cleone parking lot, a
      BURROWING OWL on Bald Hill Road, a FERRUGINOUS HAWK on Bald Hill Road, and
      the continuing SWAMP SPARROW at Big River. Matthew Matthiessen directed our
      attention to a flock of geese grazing west of Bald Hill Road. The flock
      contained Canada, Cackling, White-fronted, Snow, and Ross's Geese. Quite a
      gold mine of geese.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA