Mendocino Coast

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
      On Wednesday afternoon December 28th Art Morley, Nikki White and I saw the Swamp Sparrow at the Big River Marsh.
      There were 2 Barn Swallows at Lake Cleone on Thursday the 29th.
      A Bonaparte's Gull was on the ocean at Noyo on Saturday the 31st.

      From Laguna Point I saw a Long-tailed Duck fly by with a flock of Surf Scoter's on the afternoon of December 31st. JRW

    • white-jerry
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
        Because of ideal weather conditions the last four days ; high overcast and light southerly winds; birding on the coast was very good.
        I recorded 14 species of warblers. Highlights were:
        MacGillvray's Warbler 9/15/08 (today) at Hardy Creek
        Yellow-breasted Chat 9/15 at Chadbourne Gulch (on the east side of the highway)
        Blackpoll Warbler 9/15 also at Chadbourne Gulch on the east side of the highway.
        3 American Redstarts
        9/12 on the south side of the Garcia River
        9/13 at Usal
        9/15 at Hardy Creek
        Chestnut-sided Warbler 9/12 on Stonboro Rd
        Magnolia Warbler 9/15 (thanks to Jim Havlena) on the train tracks in Ft Bragg with a group of other birders
        Canada Warbler 9/13 at Usal
        On 9/14 a goup of us were on a very successful Pelagic Trip with Ron LeValley and Rob Fowler and organized by Karen Havlena.
        That was a very neat trick that Rob did; not wanting to drive that miserable road out to Usal he instead discovers another Canada Warbler at a much more convenient location. Congratulations. Jerry White

      • white-jerry
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 21, 2008
          September 18,19, and 20th:

          Thursday September 18th:
          Sooty Grouse; on Mountain View Rd @ about 7:15 am a little bit east of milepost 8.13.
          Chestnut-sided Warbler; on Duxbury Road; possibly the same bird as Friday September 12th.
          Baird's Sandpiper; juvenile @ Garcia River. Only sandpiper as it was at high tide.

          Friday September 19th:
          Vesper Sparrow; Usal, in the grasslands near the beach. New bird for Usal.
          Song Sparrow; Westport Headlands, a Song Sparrow on steroids. Very large compared to our regular Song Sparrows and a very dark bird.
          Upperparts and head dark chocolate-brown. Underparts heavily streaked and mottled with chocolate-brown.
          Was probably M.m. morphna found from central Oregon to SW British Colombia (breeding range).
          Clay-colored Sparrow; found on the east side of Highway 1 @ Chadbourne Gulch.
          MacGillvray's Warbler; @ the same location. Same bird Karen Havlena found the day before.
          Black-and-white Warbler; on the west side of Highway 1@ Chadbourne Gulch. Immature bird.

          Saturday September 20th:
          BROWN THRASHER;seen as I was looking down from Highway 1 @ the Hardy Creek willows. The bird came up to the top of the willows and then dove back in. Best bird of the trip.
          Clay-colored Sparrow; @ the Wesport Headlands.
          Red Crossbill; Caspar Cemetary. 20-30 birds? Making a whole lotta noise. Jerry White

        • white-jerry
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
            Thanks to Karen for posting and notifying everyone about the birds she and I found the past few days.

            I had a brief glimpse of what I thought was a possible Virginia's Warbler yesterday on the trail on the east side of Highway 1 at Chadbourne Gulch. So as Karen mentioned in her post these birds could well move up and down the creek if they stay for more than a day.
            On Sunday morning at about 7:25 AM a Fox ran across Highway 1 from the town of Westport to the Westport Headlands. Jerry White

          • white-jerry
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2008
              Friday October 3rd & Saturday October 4th.

              On Friday morning at Usal I was able to find a pygmy owl, a Bobcat and a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER before the rain chased me out.

              On Saturday at Lake Cleone there were 2 Greater White-fronted Geese and an AMERICAN REDSTART.
              Jerry White