Laysan Albatross

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
      Friday, December 29, 2005 - "Al" the Laysan Albatross arrived at the Point Arena Cove around 4:00 PM after having not been there for three days (checked routinely by Brian and Karen Fitch (spelling?) from the Bay Area). "Al" cooperated by eventually flying near to the dock to settle in for the night.

      Brian told me that one or possibly two Glaucous Gulls (2 year birds) were at the cove earlier that day.

      There were numerous Eared Grebes and a few Horned Grebes in the cove also.

      I'm sure that I don't have to warn folks...but don't plan a trip to Point Arena until this strom event has passed....you may get locked in there due to flooding.

      Good wet birding! Bob Keiffer

    • Jeff Price
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 28, 2006
        Is the Laysan Albatross still being seen in Point Arena? I tried a few times last year without success and would like to try again in early February.

        Also, are any Rock Sandpipers wintering in the area? I know they are likely at the jetty in Arcata but would rather not go that far north if I don't have to.

        Thanks!

        Jeff Price
        jtpbirder@...
        Paradise, CA

      • Bob Keiffer
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2006
          Wed/Thurs 5/6 April 2006 Grace Steurer reported to me that "AL" the Laysan Albatross was at Point Arena Cove on both of these days in the late afternoon. This is the first time to our documetned knowledge that "AL" has continued using the cove into the month of April before annual departure (to Midway perhaps?).
          Good Birding - Bob Keiffer