USTP 12/29

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      Greetings Mendobirders: I had the opportunity to get out to the Ukiah
      Sewage Treatment Plant this morning in between monsoons. At least 10 RED
      PHALAROPES continue. They are feeding actively and appear in good
      health. There were 2 LEAST SANDPIPERS as well, and a SORA roaming around
      the edge of an island of rushes. I saw no geese. I was very fortunate to
      be watching a PEREGRINE FALCON through my scope when it took a GREEN-WINGED
      TEAL out of the air over the ponds. The falcon approached the duck from
      above and behind and took it very casually, almost without a feather being
      lost. The falcon struggled to fly toward the river where it disappeared
      low into the willows. It was one of those occasions when you wonder
      whether or not what you think you just saw actually happened?

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...