Tufted Duck

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2005
      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 -- I took advantage of a slack in the rain to run out to
      Lake Mendocino. The water has come up rapidly and is about 1.5 feet below
      the inlet road. The north end of the lake is full of floating debris and
      the ducks and grebes were dispersed. From the N. boat ramp and Oak Grove
      parking lot I saw an adult male TUFTED DUCK among the 200 scaup. The black
      back and gleaming white sides show up well among the scaup.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • katemarianchild
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2011
        Helen Menasian and I saw the male tufted duck in a flock of greater scaup from the Bushay Campground road at about 3 p.m. today. After we had been watching for a while the flock flew toward the lake and landed along the shore sort of opposite the boat ramp. We also got great views of a flock of golden-crowned kinglets foraging in the oaks along the trail that parallels the shoreline between the group camp and the Mesa. One of the kinglets had bright red spots in its crown (definitely not orange). A hairy woodpecker was working hard on the trunk of a conifer east of the Mesa.

        Kate