Red-throated Phalaropes

  • Ruth Wiebe.... v24
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2005
      I counted 50+ Red-throated Phalaropes in the short distance I could see both
      up and down river at the Albion Field Station on the south side of the
      Albion River this afternoon. They seemed to continue along the river out of
      view. They were busy feeding along the edge of the banks and in the eel
      grass beds. A number would fly to nearby locations or to where other
      Phalarope was swimming. I didn't notice any of the typical spinning
      behavior, but they were busy foraging for food - it appeared they were
      eating what they found. I didn't notice anything unusual about their
      appearance except the absence of spinning. We have had Red-throated
      Phalaropes on the Albion River in past years but not the numbers counted
      today. Ruth Wiebe: at the Albion Field Station on the south side of the
      Albion River.