More burrowing owls and red phalaropes in fort bragg

  • David Jensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2005
      Saturday, December 24, 2005.
      So nice to have the rain stop. I went out Bald Hill to see the Burrowing Owl this noon. There is a second (!) owl on the same knoll, about 100 yards to the south and maybe ten feet higher up the slope, near the south end of that formation. The second burrow faces to the southwest and can be clearly seen from a point on the road about 200 yards south of the "rope gate."
      On the west side of Bald Hill Road, there was a Ferruginous Hawk in the pine trees northwest of the "rope gate", a Say's Phoebe was directly west of the "rope gate', and the Snow and Ross' Geese reported yesterday were still present.

      An observation and open question about the number of Red Phalaropes on the coast. Today I saw at least 20 on Pudding Creek, several small flocks of 6-15 each flying in and out of Lake Cleone, heard a report of REPH dodging cars in the parking lot at Arena Cove, saw 5 REPH on large mud puddles behind the motel on Todd's Point, and they were not bathing. I think they were looking for food. Yes, it has been stormy, with lots of rain, but the ocean has not been particularly rough (no 40-foot waves). And although it was windy the past week, there have been no downed trees or power outages. In other words, I do not believe the weather and ocean conditions have been sufficiently severe to cause such an influx.
      Any thoughts?