Red Phalarope at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2005
      Sat, 24 Dec 2005 -- The fog cleared off of the lake at about 11:30 to
      reveal a single RED PHALAROPE at the south end of Coyote Dam out from the
      intake tower. This week's storm system seems to have blown them onshore and
      even inland widely from California to Washington. There was a small,
      distant gull in the mists, probably a Bonaparte's Gull, and a ROCK WREN on
      the dam at marker 011.
      The north end of the lake is full of floating debris from the storm
      inflow, but among a group of about 200 scaup off Ky-En campground I found a
      single CANVASBACK, two NORTHERN PINTAILS, and a dozen AMERICAN WIGEON.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2005
        Thu, 29 Dec 2005 -- Today there were two RED PHALAROPES at Lake Mendocino
        between the Joe Riley overlook and Perry Creek Cove. The 'event' continues.
        I could not refind the Tufted Duck today.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA