Swamp Sparrow

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2005
      Fri, 23 Dec 2005 -- Dorothy Tobkin found a SWAMP SPARROW about 11:00 this
      morning at the Big River marsh. Turn off Hwy 1 at the N. Big River road,
      drive down the hill . The sparrow was in the marsh on the left just before
      a row of rocks that keeps vehicles out. It was with Song Sparrows.
    • Matthew Matthiessen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 24, 2005
        Saturday Dec 24, 2005 - This morning at Big River I refound the SWAMP SPARROW reported yesterday by Toby. From Hwy 1 turn east on North Big River Rd and follow it for about a quarter mile until you see a row of large rocks bordering the north side of the road. The bird was in the brush on the north side of the road at the very beginning (west end) of this row of large rocks.

        Matthew Matthiessen
        Ukiah, MEN, CA
      • richhubie
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2009
          Sun Nov 8, 2009--I was able to refind the SWAMP SPARROW at 10 Mile Bridge at 1:30 PM. I got a good look at the adult. There was a second bird that was the same size as the SWAMP SPARROW and smaller then a nearby Song Sparrow but it didn't allow a good look.

          There are 3 bridges, new, old, and a lower work bridge. You can walk out on the work bridge. I located the bird at about where the swallow nests start on the old bridge. There are horizontal iron girders under the old bridge. The SWAMP SPARROW was following these girders south towards the Red Crane when I lost it (them).

          Richard Hubacek
          Little River