253, Virgin Creek

  • Kate Marianchild
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2005
      On Sunday I drove to Fort Bragg via Hwy 253 and Anderson Valley. Just
      before getting off of 101 on to 253 I saw a kestrel fly to the 101
      median strip, grab something, and zoom back to the east side of 101.
      The prey looked short and narrow, like a lizard without its tail.

      I stopped twice on 253. At the first stop (mm 6.63) I saw a red-tail,
      1-2 downy woodpeckers, and 8-10 varied thrushes feeding on madrone
      berries.

      At the second stop (just past Anderson Creek, .5 mm) I climbed the hill
      on the south side of the road and saw 1 or 2 townsend warblers, along
      with lots of chestnut back chickadees, all feeding in an oak tree. 2
      nuttalls woodpeckers, bushtits, juncoes, flickers, acorn woodpeckers,
      oak titmice, and ruby crowned kinglets, one with crown showing, rounded
      out the bonanza in the area.

      Yesterday I walked to Virgin Creek Beach and saw a kite hover and stoop
      successfully in the meadow on the way in. It was so beautiful hovering
      with the light shining through its wings. I didn't recognize the prey,
      but caught a flash of what looked like yellow orange. (?)

      On the beach was one black turnstone, one marbled godwit, 15 or so
      black-bellied plovers, and about 8 snowy plovers, I think.

      Kate