Northern Shrike

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 160 , Nov 30, 2005
      Wednesday - 30-November-2005 - This morning at 11:30 to 11:45 I watched an
      adult Northern Shrike along University Road leading to the UC-Hopland
      Research & Extension Center. As one follows University Road heading east
      from the Old River Road, go about 3/4 mile until you come to a long
      straight stretch with vineyard on both sides of the road. On the left or
      north side there is a metal panel gate and lone cottonwood tree that
      separates vineyard from permanent pastureland. The shrike was first seen
      flying to and resting in this cottonwood tree which is right next to the
      road. I was able to get a very clear view of the upper part of the bird
      including the light gray crown and nape, the thin black mask that did not
      broaden behind the eye, long mandible with a definite hook at the tip, and
      a bright white throat and upper breast. I was unable to see the color of
      the rump. From the characteristics mentioned above I am certain that the
      bird is an adult Northern Shrike ... I believe the first adult that I have
      seen in the county (I have only seen 3 or 4).

      The bird flew south across the road to a 30 foot tall cottonwood about 200
      yards away on the edge of a vineyard and a fallow vineyard (vines removed
      about a year ago leaving a weedy field). The bird remained motionless in
      this tree for about 10 minutes. As I drove around to approach closer (on
      private property for which I have permission to venture) I lost sight of
      the bird for about 2 seconds and it totally disappeared ... I have no idea
      which way it headed.

      I suspect that it is around this little valley somewhere. Shrikes of
      either kind are very far and few between in Mendocino County. If you look
      for the bird from University Road you should be able to scope in many
      directions easily. If you bird along Highway 175 to the south be VERY
      careful of traffic .... pull way off the road to be safe.

      There was also an adult Bald Eagle in the area this morning.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center