Rock Sandpiper

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 19, 2005
      Sat, 19 Nov 2005 -- Dorothy Tobkin reports a single ROCK SANDPIPER on the
      rocks to the north of Laguna Point today. This was about 11:15, fully an
      hour before a fairly low high tide of 5.8 feet. She also had a late
      ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER in the willows near Lake Cleone.
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
        I am forwarding this report from Art Robinson of Oakland.

        Your directions were right on the mark for Virgin Creek Beach, where
        Friday morning, March 26, in the hour after high tide on the rocks
        just north of the beach were a flock of 60 or so Black Turnstones (as
        reported earlier) and the ROCK SANDPIPER. As the tide dropped a bit,
        the birds worked their way northwards from one rock grouping to another.
        The Rock Sandpiper had some rufous on his back, the beginnings of a
        transition to breeding plumage? Just south of Laguna Point was another
        large flock of Black Turnstones, this time accompanied by a dozen or
        so Surfbirds. The rocks north of Mill Creek Drive had only Black
        Turnstones, although a sprinkling of Black Oystercatchers were at all
        the spots. -- Art
      • stevestump
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2014
          1-17-14 1330

          This afternoon around 1:30 pm, George Chaniot, Roger Foote and I observed a Rock Sandpiper at Laguna Point, Ft. Bragg. The bird was on the Rocks to the North of the point. We also viewed the continuing Black-and-white Warbler on the Lake Cleone Boardwalk (East side). We were unable to find the Black-capped Chickadee among many Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Golden-crowned Kinglet and Pygmy Nuthatches.
          Steve Stump
        • stevestump
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2015
            12/11/15 1030

            There is a Rock Sandpiper at Virgin Creek beach. Steve Stump
          • Feather Forestwalker
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 15, 2015
              Steve,

              Would you be able to tell me where Rock Sandpipers are most 'commonly' seen at Virgin Creek? Which rocks? I have gone three times lately and haven't had any luck locating one... :)
            • stevestump
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 29, 2015
                12/29/16 2:40pm

                There is a Rock Sandpiper at the end of Ward Ave. Beach. It is with a bunch of shorebirds on the large rock North of the parking area (about 80 yards North).
                Also the Borrowing Owl continues at the South end on the driftwood. Steve Stump and Chris L.
              • Robert Keiffer
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 26, 2016
                  Friday - 26 February 2016 -Roger Adamson & I found the ROCK SANDPIPER (presumed only one in the area this winter) on the largest shoreline rock directly to the WSW of the Ward Avenue parking area at about 11:30AM today. (high tide was at 1:22 PM)  It was with a large flock (about 19) Black Turnstones.  It was difficult to see as  stayed to the ocean side of the rock and had to be viewed from the side, almost into the shoreline waves, in order to see it, whereas the turnstones were easy to see from upper beach.   Good birding.  Bob Keiffer  Hopland   rjkeiffer@...