Re: [Mendobirds] Glaucous Gull at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
      At 15:36 2005 11 17, Janet wrote:
      > Between Pomo A
      >and B a flock of 36 common merganser flew in, spent a
      >while fishing just offshore; after 15 minutes I walked
      >away to the bathroom and then they were gone. Is it
      >unusual to see a flock of them like that? I'm used to
      >just seeing pair

      No, it is not unusual to see them that way. They fish communally in groups
      of 20-100 - often diving synchronously and moving right along the
      shoreline. It looks like they're herding the fish against the bank. Often,
      when they get going, Great Blue Herons and egrets fly in from all around
      the lake and line the bank trying to get in on the action. It's pretty cool
      to watch.

      George Chaniot
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2005
        Wed, 23 Nov 2005 - Jerry White reports that the 1st winter GLAUCOUS GULL
        reported on the 17th is still near the south marina at Lake Mendocino. He
        also saw a CANVASBACK on the lake (295).
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23, 2005
          Wed, 23 Nov 2005 -- In the late afternoon today the GLAUCOUS GULL was still
          around the area of the south marina at Lake Mendocino. It was sitting with
          some other gulls on an emerging bar that is just barely breaking the
          surface about 100 m SE of the parking lot. I saw the gull fly to the south
          end of the lake beyond the intake tower, land on the water , and pick at
          some things. Then it flew back to the duck feeding area, circled several
          times without landing, and flew back to the bar and landed. By sunset it
          had disappeared and was replaced by an adult THAYER'S GULL, the seventh
          species of gull to have been seen on the lake this week.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA