Re: [Mendobirds] Glaucous Gull at Lake Mendocino

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17 3:36 PM
      Speaking of Lake Mendocino--
      Stu and I were out there on Saturday. Between Pomo A
      and B a flock of 36 common merganser flew in, spent a
      while fishing just offshore; after 15 minutes I walked
      away to the bathroom and then they were gone. Is it
      unusual to see a flock of them like that? I'm used to
      just seeing pairs...so it was unusual for me, and a
      real treat to watch! (almost as neat as watching a
      merlin strafe a pair of ravens trying for a quiet
      drink)

      Janet Rosen
      http://www.zanshinart.com
      "Work like you don't need the money.
      Love like you've never been hurt.
      Dance like nobody's watching."
      --Satchel Paige

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 17 4:06 PM
        At 15:36 2005 11 17, Janet wrote:
        > Between Pomo A
        >and B a flock of 36 common merganser flew in, spent a
        >while fishing just offshore; after 15 minutes I walked
        >away to the bathroom and then they were gone. Is it
        >unusual to see a flock of them like that? I'm used to
        >just seeing pair

        No, it is not unusual to see them that way. They fish communally in groups
        of 20-100 - often diving synchronously and moving right along the
        shoreline. It looks like they're herding the fish against the bank. Often,
        when they get going, Great Blue Herons and egrets fly in from all around
        the lake and line the bank trying to get in on the action. It's pretty cool
        to watch.

        George Chaniot
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23 11:21 AM
          Wed, 23 Nov 2005 - Jerry White reports that the 1st winter GLAUCOUS GULL
          reported on the 17th is still near the south marina at Lake Mendocino. He
          also saw a CANVASBACK on the lake (295).
        • chaniot@pacific.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23 8:26 PM
            Wed, 23 Nov 2005 -- In the late afternoon today the GLAUCOUS GULL was still
            around the area of the south marina at Lake Mendocino. It was sitting with
            some other gulls on an emerging bar that is just barely breaking the
            surface about 100 m SE of the parking lot. I saw the gull fly to the south
            end of the lake beyond the intake tower, land on the water , and pick at
            some things. Then it flew back to the duck feeding area, circled several
            times without landing, and flew back to the bar and landed. By sunset it
            had disappeared and was replaced by an adult THAYER'S GULL, the seventh
            species of gull to have been seen on the lake this week.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA