Glaucous Gull at Lake Mendocino

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
      Thu, 17 Nov 2005 -- At 8:30 this morning I found an immature GLAUCOUS GULL
      sitting with other gulls on the little mud spit at the east end of the
      parking lot at the south marina at Lake Mendocino. It appeared to be in
      first winter plumage with fresh feathers throughout; bill bicolored
      pink/black; slightly larger than adult Herring Gull; primaries very pale,
      approaching white, with faint brownish edgings; fine brown flecking on wing
      coverts and back. At about 8:50 all of the gulls dispersed over the lake,
      and I never saw it again. This is the first record of this species at Lake
      Mendocino that I am aware of.
      <http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/LM_listv1.html>
      Later I saw an "odd goose" sitting on the water south of the mesa.
      It turned out to be an immature BALD EAGLE which was worrying an isolated
      coot. The coot would dive to escape the eagle, the eagle would lift off the
      water, swoop down at the coot when it surfaced, and land on the water
      again. Shortly the immature eagle was joined by an adult eagle, and they
      began to double-team the coot at twice the frequency. The coot began to
      tire and could only stay submerged for a few seconds. Finally, on the 21st
      pass, the adult snatched the coot from just below the surface and carried
      it off, followed by the immature. I didn't get to see the rest of the
      story.
      Still later in Potter Valley, I saw a light, adult FERRUGINOUS HAWK
      on a power pole beyond the gate at the end of Burris Lane. I have still not
      seen a Lewis's Woodpecker this fall despite a moderate acorn crop that is
      keeping the Scrub-Jays and Acorn Woodpeckers busy. I'll be interested to
      see if there are any in Round Valley on the field trip this Sunday.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Lake Mendocino, 17 Nov 2005
      ========================
      Pied-billed Grebe 13
      Horned Grebe 2
      Eared Grebe 23
      Aechmorphus sp 161
      Western Grebe 26
      Clark's Grebe 3
      Great Blue Heron 1
      Great Egret 4
      Canada Goose 1
      Wood Duck 5 In the inlet, gorgeous, good photo op.
      Green-winged Teal 11
      Mallard 152
      American Wigeon 18
      Ring-necked Duck 35
      Scaup sp 116
      Greater Scaup 17
      Lesser Scaup 32 Switched from minority to majority
      this week.
      Common Goldene 10
      Bufflehead 18
      Hooded Merganser 1 m In the inlet, stunning, good photo op.
      Common Merganser 3
      Ruddy Duck 54
      Bald Eagle 2
      American Coot 187-1
      Killdeer 7
      Spotted Sandpiper 1
      Dunlin 9
      Wilson's Snipe 1
      Bonaparte's Gull 10
      Ring-billed Gull 5
      California Gull 29
      Herring Gull 2
      Glaucous Gull 1 im
      Belted Kingfisher 3
    • Janet
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
        Speaking of Lake Mendocino--
        Stu and I were out there on Saturday. Between Pomo A
        and B a flock of 36 common merganser flew in, spent a
        while fishing just offshore; after 15 minutes I walked
        away to the bathroom and then they were gone. Is it
        unusual to see a flock of them like that? I'm used to
        just seeing pairs...so it was unusual for me, and a
        real treat to watch! (almost as neat as watching a
        merlin strafe a pair of ravens trying for a quiet
        drink)

        Janet Rosen
        http://www.zanshinart.com
        "Work like you don't need the money.
        Love like you've never been hurt.
        Dance like nobody's watching."
        --Satchel Paige

        __________________________________
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 17, 2005
          At 15:36 2005 11 17, Janet wrote:
          > Between Pomo A
          >and B a flock of 36 common merganser flew in, spent a
          >while fishing just offshore; after 15 minutes I walked
          >away to the bathroom and then they were gone. Is it
          >unusual to see a flock of them like that? I'm used to
          >just seeing pair

          No, it is not unusual to see them that way. They fish communally in groups
          of 20-100 - often diving synchronously and moving right along the
          shoreline. It looks like they're herding the fish against the bank. Often,
          when they get going, Great Blue Herons and egrets fly in from all around
          the lake and line the bank trying to get in on the action. It's pretty cool
          to watch.

          George Chaniot
        • chaniot@pacific.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 23, 2005
            Wed, 23 Nov 2005 - Jerry White reports that the 1st winter GLAUCOUS GULL
            reported on the 17th is still near the south marina at Lake Mendocino. He
            also saw a CANVASBACK on the lake (295).
          • chaniot@pacific.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 23, 2005
              Wed, 23 Nov 2005 -- In the late afternoon today the GLAUCOUS GULL was still
              around the area of the south marina at Lake Mendocino. It was sitting with
              some other gulls on an emerging bar that is just barely breaking the
              surface about 100 m SE of the parking lot. I saw the gull fly to the south
              end of the lake beyond the intake tower, land on the water , and pick at
              some things. Then it flew back to the duck feeding area, circled several
              times without landing, and flew back to the bar and landed. By sunset it
              had disappeared and was replaced by an adult THAYER'S GULL, the seventh
              species of gull to have been seen on the lake this week.

              George Chaniot
              Potter Valley, MEN, CA