USTP, 25 Aug

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2001
      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 -- I spent yesterday morning birding the Ukiah Sewage
      Treatment Plant ponds, and, as has been the case recently, the birding was
      not very good. There is water only in the sludge pond and in the north
      percolation pond, where the level is fairly high and the surface is
      entirely covered with duckweed. The other ponds are bone dry and overgrown
      with dock and smartweed. Furthermore, the chain-link fence along the east
      side had been rebuilt and the gates are locked, limiting access to the
      Russian River riparian. The most interesting birds were a lone, adult
      Greater White-fronted Goose which has been there about a month now, and
      several late-hatching, downy American Coots with their spiked orange
      hairdos.
      Later in the day in Potter Valley, I saw 16 CASPIAN TERNS flying
      ESE in the direction of Clear Lake. This is a new species for the Potter
      Valley list, and I probably would not have noticed them if I had not been
      roofing.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      Potter Valley birds http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/pvbirdsv2p1.html

      25 Aug 2001 Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant
      =========== ============================

      Greater White-fronted Goose 1 ad
      Wood Duck 2 mf
      Cinnamon Teal 2 eclipse