Mendocino Coast

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 23, 2005
      I spent yesterday birding the coastline, mainly in the southern part of the county.

      The best bird of the day was a Sage Thrasher which was on Alder Creek Beach Road (north of Manchester) around 1:30 PM. It was about 6/10ths of a mile from hiway 1 working the fence line that separates the private lands from the state parks property.I watched it for almost 2 minutes before it disappeared over the hill to the west. There was also a Ferruginous Hawk and Say's Phoebe in this area.

      In the morning just before sunrise there was a calling Northern Pygmy-Owl and a Western Screech-Owl at mile post 11 on Mountain View Road.

      On Miner Hole Road I had a somewhat late Pacific-slope Flycatcher and a Nashville Warbler.

      There was a Red-necked Grebe on the Navarro River. JRW

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 12, 2005
        Yesterday (Friday, November 11th) I found a Clay-colored Sparrow in with a large sparrow flock on Stoneboro Road near Manchester. The bird was in the vicinity of the small pond on the south side of the road not far from Highway 1.

        At the Highway 1 bridge over the Garcia River there was a Eurasian Collared-Dove. This is the first time I have seen this species away from the Duxbury Road area.

        Also yesterday Ed Pandolfino left a message that he found a Palm Warbler about 150 yards north of the bridge over Virgin Creek (Virgin Creek Beach area) . That was his 200th Mendocino County bird. JRW

      • Jerry White
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
          On Wednesday afternoon December 28th Art Morley, Nikki White and I saw the Swamp Sparrow at the Big River Marsh.
          There were 2 Barn Swallows at Lake Cleone on Thursday the 29th.
          A Bonaparte's Gull was on the ocean at Noyo on Saturday the 31st.

          From Laguna Point I saw a Long-tailed Duck fly by with a flock of Surf Scoter's on the afternoon of December 31st. JRW

        • white-jerry
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
            Because of ideal weather conditions the last four days ; high overcast and light southerly winds; birding on the coast was very good.
            I recorded 14 species of warblers. Highlights were:
            MacGillvray's Warbler 9/15/08 (today) at Hardy Creek
            Yellow-breasted Chat 9/15 at Chadbourne Gulch (on the east side of the highway)
            Blackpoll Warbler 9/15 also at Chadbourne Gulch on the east side of the highway.
            3 American Redstarts
            9/12 on the south side of the Garcia River
            9/13 at Usal
            9/15 at Hardy Creek
            Chestnut-sided Warbler 9/12 on Stonboro Rd
            Magnolia Warbler 9/15 (thanks to Jim Havlena) on the train tracks in Ft Bragg with a group of other birders
            Canada Warbler 9/13 at Usal
            On 9/14 a goup of us were on a very successful Pelagic Trip with Ron LeValley and Rob Fowler and organized by Karen Havlena.
            That was a very neat trick that Rob did; not wanting to drive that miserable road out to Usal he instead discovers another Canada Warbler at a much more convenient location. Congratulations. Jerry White

          • white-jerry
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 21, 2008
              September 18,19, and 20th:

              Thursday September 18th:
              Sooty Grouse; on Mountain View Rd @ about 7:15 am a little bit east of milepost 8.13.
              Chestnut-sided Warbler; on Duxbury Road; possibly the same bird as Friday September 12th.
              Baird's Sandpiper; juvenile @ Garcia River. Only sandpiper as it was at high tide.

              Friday September 19th:
              Vesper Sparrow; Usal, in the grasslands near the beach. New bird for Usal.
              Song Sparrow; Westport Headlands, a Song Sparrow on steroids. Very large compared to our regular Song Sparrows and a very dark bird.
              Upperparts and head dark chocolate-brown. Underparts heavily streaked and mottled with chocolate-brown.
              Was probably M.m. morphna found from central Oregon to SW British Colombia (breeding range).
              Clay-colored Sparrow; found on the east side of Highway 1 @ Chadbourne Gulch.
              MacGillvray's Warbler; @ the same location. Same bird Karen Havlena found the day before.
              Black-and-white Warbler; on the west side of Highway 1@ Chadbourne Gulch. Immature bird.

              Saturday September 20th:
              BROWN THRASHER;seen as I was looking down from Highway 1 @ the Hardy Creek willows. The bird came up to the top of the willows and then dove back in. Best bird of the trip.
              Clay-colored Sparrow; @ the Wesport Headlands.
              Red Crossbill; Caspar Cemetary. 20-30 birds? Making a whole lotta noise. Jerry White

            • white-jerry
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
                Thanks to Karen for posting and notifying everyone about the birds she and I found the past few days.

                I had a brief glimpse of what I thought was a possible Virginia's Warbler yesterday on the trail on the east side of Highway 1 at Chadbourne Gulch. So as Karen mentioned in her post these birds could well move up and down the creek if they stay for more than a day.
                On Sunday morning at about 7:25 AM a Fox ran across Highway 1 from the town of Westport to the Westport Headlands. Jerry White

              • white-jerry
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2008
                  Friday October 3rd & Saturday October 4th.

                  On Friday morning at Usal I was able to find a pygmy owl, a Bobcat and a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER before the rain chased me out.

                  On Saturday at Lake Cleone there were 2 Greater White-fronted Geese and an AMERICAN REDSTART.
                  Jerry White