Lapland Longspur

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2005
      Sun Oct 16, 2005 - Chuck Vaughn, Jerry White, David Nelson, and I found a LAPLAND LONGSPUR at Virgin Creek Beach on Sunday following the cancellation of the pelagic trip. The bird was in the grassy area west of the Haul Rd and just south of the beach. There is a large sand dune in the grass at this location and the bird was in the short grass along the bluffs just southwest of this dune. On several occasions the bird flew down to the rocks below the edge of the bluff. Good birding.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA
    • richhubie
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2007
        "Toby" Tobkin reported seeing a "probable" female Lapland Longspur at
        noon today. Location was the Mendocino Headlands at the far most south-
        western parking area.

        Richard Hubacek for Toby
      • Roger H Adamson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 18, 2015
          Refound Friday morning 9:30 same place as described by Tim.

          Roger Adamson
        • featherbirdlady3
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 11
            The Lapland Longspur from Glass Beach has moved north to the middle of the
            Glass Beach Headlands - if you are standing on the bluffs at the Noyo
            Headlands parking area (north side by Glass Beach) and look north you will
            see the row of houses on Glass Beach Drive. At the very north end of that
            row of houses, go directly east across the tops of the headlands there -
            there is a wide expanse of headlands at this location - with a lot of
            Blennosperma and Baby Blue Eyes flowers bordering the trail on either
            side... typically in summer there are a ton of California poppies that
            bloom in this location.... currently, there are the other flowers and the
            Lapland Longspur, feeding on seeds there. My friend Kevin found him in
            that location this morning... thank you, Kevin! :)

            I brought birders with me from inland who were hoping to see him. I am SO
            glad they got to see him, too! :)

            Feather Forestwalker (Lisa D Walker-Roseman)
            Fort Bragg, CA
          • featherbirdlady3
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 11
              Should read WEST, go directly WEST