Re: [Mendobirds] Longspur and Horned Larks/Lake County

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 14, 2005
      Fri, 14 Oct 2005 -- I was at the gate looking for the CHESTNUT-COLLARED
      LONGSPUR when the sun rose this morning. There was a lot of Savannah
      Sparrow action, but no longspur. When Dave Woodward arrived it materialized
      in the edge of the dirt road a short stone's-throw away. We got good scope
      looks at it at good range. I concur with the Chestnut-collared ID. At one
      point it flew up, circled far to the south, returned, and landed in the
      plowed field near the gate where it did the longspur thing of hiding behind
      clods. There were at least two HORNED LARKS poking their heads up from
      behind clods too. After an upflight of pipits, larks, and longspur, I lost
      track of the bird.
      Also in the area was a MERLIN and a suspicious dove that may
      possibly have been a collared-dove. It was sitting on the fence with the
      hosing draped along it further south near the young walnuts. The dove flew
      off to the west beyond the oaks. It had the right undertail pattern, the
      right size, squared tail, gray undertail coverts seen in flight, but seemed
      too dark above. I wish I could have seen it in the scope. It's worth
      keeping an open eye. On the drying mud of Robinson Lake there was a group
      of four stubby-billed CACKLING GEESE. One had such a broad white collar
      that I thought it was wearing a radio collar until I got it in the scope.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA