Possible Yellow-billed Loon at Lake Mendocino

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 11, 2005
      Birders,

      I received a report of an apparent Yellow-billed Loon at Lake Mendocino
      late this afternoon. It was seen from the boat ramp at Lake Mendocino, but
      was far out in the lake.

      Confirmation is desired.

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      Fall Birding Classes start Sep 13 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 12, 2005
        Wed, 12 Oct 2005 -- I spent about two hours at the south marina and Coyote
        Dam area this morning. I found one Common Loon among the red and green
        buoys at the launching area, but I could not find any other loon. It was
        spooky how this loon could disappear for long periods underwater then
        reappear in the same place. I caught it repeatedly surfacing for less than
        one second for 15 minutes.
        I also went to Pomo A and the north marina for a half hour but did
        not see any other loon. There was a pair of HORNED GREBES, the first of the
        season for me.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        >Birders,
        >I received a report of an apparent Yellow-billed Loon at Lake Mendocino
        >late this afternoon. It was seen from the boat ramp at Lake Mendocino, but
        >was far out in the lake.
        >Confirmation is desired.

        >Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
          Tue, 08 Nov 2011 -- Tuesday morning there was a BURROWING OWL sitting on a
          rock north of the knoll at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley. It was
          at a distance, and it took a scope to distinguish it from the kestrels,
          groundsquirrels and meadowlarks which also like these perches. An adult
          GOLDEN EAGLE appeared close overhead, but it took it 20 minutes to appear
          rather than the 15 minutes which I have promised before.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • George Chaniot
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 14, 2011
            Mon, 14 Nov 2011 -- Yesterday Cuck Vaughn and I found a BURROWING OWL again
            in the same general area as before sitting out on a rock at about 11:00.
            Today I saw the bird on the same rock at about 15:00. The rock in question
            is a pointed, triangular rock about 1/2 mi to the NNE. Needless to say, a
            scope is necessary.
            Today the Golden Eagle landed on a grassy hillside close to a group of
            Tule Elk. The elk alerted on it and began to move away quickly. That was a
            surprise to me.

            George Chaniot
            Potter Valley, MEN, CA

            > Tue, 08 Nov 2011 -- Tuesday morning there was a BURROWING OWL sitting on a
            > rock north of the knoll at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley.
          • Jerry White
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 27, 2012
              The location for the BURROWING OWL; take Butts Canyon Road off of Highway 29 which is just north of Middletown. Drive to Callayomi Rd (a dirt road) which goes south off of Butts Canyon Rd. Go to the first residence (address 21751) and look to dirt mounds across the road. The bird was standing on the side of one of those mounds about 11:15 AM yesterday. This bird was first discovered by Dave Woodward on Tuesday the 23rd. Jerry White

            • birdmanofthewoods4
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
                For those of you who don't get Ron LeValley's pictures and might not know, there is a BURROWING OWL along the Fort Bragg haul road just south of Ward Avenue in MacKerricker Park. Quite easy to find. I found it about 1/4 mile south of Ward Avenue. It was moving from the iceplant on the east side of the road to the piles of logs on the west, ocean side.

              • stevestump
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 25

                  1/25/15 450pm

                  This afternoon there was a Burrowing Owl on Pine Ave. Potter Valley. It was 7/10th of a mile up the road between a large blue storage container and a single wide mobile home( both off the road to the North). The owl was spotted easily with binoculars on a large red dirt mound near the base of the mound. There were several ground squirrels running around on the mound. Tricolored Blackbirds have been seen in this area just past the mobile home also. Photo on Flickr

                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestump/16182241417/