False alarm on suspected Garganeys

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2005
      I received a few replies from birders who say the
      birds are molting Green-winged Teal, based on the pale
      lateral undertail coverts, and (disappointingly!)I
      concur. Here are the responses:

      "I just looked at your photos and think the birds are
      Green-winged Teal. Any time you see birds that have
      those rear "headlights" near the undertail it = GWTE.
      We've had a couple of instances with birds like that
      up here in Humboldt being mistaken for Garganey. Wish
      I could say otherwise!! Hope one day one actually
      shows up in LAKE. Take care."

      "I think that these are molting Green-winged Teal. I
      spend a great deal of time looking for Garganey here
      in TX, and every year I find a couple of GWTE that
      have VERY Garganey-like face patterns. Note the
      contrastingly white lateral undertail coverts - a real
      giveaway for GWTE."

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County