Suspected Garganeys in Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2005
      I just posted digiscoped photos of a pair of suspected
      GARGANEYS at:

      http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/mysteryduck2

      Both birds have fairly pronounced stripes on the face.
      The male appears to be in a transition plumage with
      some rich chestnut on the face. The only other
      possibility I can think of is CINNAMON X BLUE-WINGED
      TEAL, but the stripes appear too pronounced. Or
      perhaps some other weird hybrid combination.

      The ducks were at the southeast corner of Borax Lake,
      near southeast corner of Clear Lake, from about
      4:15-4:45 pm this afternoon. Unfortunately they were
      several hundred meters away from where I was standing
      on the west shore, the wind was shaking my scope and
      the water was rather choppy. I attempted to approach
      them from the southeast shore (after parking at the
      end of 12th Street), but they flew farther out into
      the lake, the lighting was bad and I was unable to
      relocate them from either shore despite searching
      until sundown. There are a LOT of ducks, coots,
      grebes, etc., out there!

      I also saw a male EURASIAN WIGEON and an immature
      GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE along the east shore.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2005
        I received a few replies from birders who say the
        birds are molting Green-winged Teal, based on the pale
        lateral undertail coverts, and (disappointingly!)I
        concur. Here are the responses:

        "I just looked at your photos and think the birds are
        Green-winged Teal. Any time you see birds that have
        those rear "headlights" near the undertail it = GWTE.
        We've had a couple of instances with birds like that
        up here in Humboldt being mistaken for Garganey. Wish
        I could say otherwise!! Hope one day one actually
        shows up in LAKE. Take care."

        "I think that these are molting Green-winged Teal. I
        spend a great deal of time looking for Garganey here
        in TX, and every year I find a couple of GWTE that
        have VERY Garganey-like face patterns. Note the
        contrastingly white lateral undertail coverts - a real
        giveaway for GWTE."