Hits & Misses

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2005
      Hi-- We were out of town for a few days, so I tried for some of the birds
      mentioned on the listserv lately on Wednesday.

      I saw the Pacific Golden Plover on the beach with the Whimbrel on the
      rocks, north of the Lake Cleone in the general area mentioned by Matt M.
      The Snow Goose was by the parking area with the park geese. A Winter
      Wren was all I could find on the south side of the lake. The Blk-N-White
      Warbler was a 5-day longshot, which did not materialize.

      Then, I drove to Little River, where a note was clipped to a bush for "John."
      John had indicated that he did not see the Rose-breasted Grosbeak; neither
      did I. A trip down to the visitor's center at Van Damme did little good.
      The campground host said that there were no feeders, but that he scattered
      seed around on the ground. He had not seen anything like the grosbeak.

      After returning home to just north of Ten Mile Bridge, an ad. N Mockingbird
      briefly rested and fed in our backyard. On the cetecean list, I noticed two
      huge spouts way out in the ocean, near the horizen. We grabbed our
      scopes, and saw two Blue Whales (barely).

      Karen Havlena