Eel River

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
      Tue, 04 Oct 2005 -- I've spent the last two days along the Eel River near
      Potter Valley visiting multiple locations from Thomas Creek in Mendocino to
      Bloody Rock in Lake County. I saw AMERICAN DIPPERS at the mouth of Tomki
      Creek and at Bloody Rock and sign of them almost everywhere. There was an
      adult BALD EAGLE at Cape Horn Dam. I also note the GREATER WHITE-FRONTED
      GOOSE is still with the domestic geese just below Cape Horn Dam. It first
      showed up as a juvenile in Sep 1997 and fell into bad company.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA
    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2014
        4-8 Aug 2014 -- This last week I have been working in the Mainstem Eel River
        visiting seven locations between Cape Horn Dam and Dos Rios. It was smoky
        and not very birdy most of the time, but I did see AMERICAN DIPPERS at three
        of the seven sites, all without public access. I also saw one CANYON WREN
        at a public access site along Route 162 near milepost 10.77 on Aug 7. There
        is a broad pullout on the river side of the road with a rocky riffle below.
        I saw the wren fly across the river landing on some rocks in midstream then
        continuing to the near bank where it disappeared into a group of rocks. I
        have seen Canyon Wren at this location once in past years - but not
        regularly. This is several miles upstream from the Dos Rios Bridge which
        has been a productive area in recent years.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA