Weekend Coastal Report (Oct 1-3)

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005
      Greetings Mendobirders,
      This past weekend Floyd Hayes, Stan Snyder, Larry Siemens, Myron Widmer, and I spent several days birding on the coast. Some of our sightings have already been reported but I thought I'd provide some updates. Monday afternoon (Oct 3) the ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK, PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER, and SNOW GOOSE were all still present. The grosbeak was still visiting the feeder at 8151 PCH in Little River at 15:00. When the bird left the yard it flew down to the lower Van Damme campground. Could it also be visiting the feeders at the visitors center there? The golden-plover was still at MacKerricher until 17:00. It was on one of the near-shore rocks about 200 meters north of the Lake Cleone parking lot. The Snow Goose was also at Lake Cleone until 17:00.

      Saturday Oct 1 - I found a female BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER on the southeast side of Lake Cleone at 08:45. The bird was was in the willows on the lake-side of the path about 50-100 meters west of where the boardwalk ends and the dirt path begins. There was also a RED-BREASTED MERGANSER on Lake Cleone at 07:45. One PECTORAL SANDPIPER was at Virgin Creek Beach throughout the morning. In the afternoon there were a couple late PIGEON GUILLEMOTS out from Navarro Beach. Also in the afternoon was a single GRAY JAY in the upper campground at Van Damme and a PEREGRINE FALCON at the Mendocino Headlands.

      Sunday - Oct 2 - Floyd Hayes found and digiscoped an early ANCIENT MURRELET from the Laguna Point observation platform. He also had several MARBLED MURRELETS from Laguna Point. On the ocean the species diversity was low but the overall numbers were good. We took a six-hour pelagic out of Noyo Harbor and had BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS (3), NORTHERN FULMAR (4), BULLER'S SHEARWATER (300+), PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER (300+), SOOTY SHEARWATER (300+), RED-NECKED PHALAROPE (3), COMMON MURRE (100), CASSIN'S AUKLET (25), and RHINOCEROS AUKLET (200).

      Monday - Oct 3 - Early in the morning we had two BLUE GROUSE and five MOUNTAIN QUAIL along Mountain View Road. There was also one NORTHERN "YELLOW-SHAFTED" FLICKER along Miner Hole Road and a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER at Hunter's Lagoon. In the fields along Hwy 1 north of Irish Beach were at least two FERRUGINOUS HAWKS.

      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, MEN, CA