Four Owl Morning in Lake Co.

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2005
      Mon, 20Sep 2005 -- Being up before daylight this morning, I decided to
      embrace the night and go owling in nearby Lake County. Route 20 turned out
      to be much too noisy with truck traffic, so I tried Scotts Valley Road
      which was very productive (06:00-06:30). In the first three miles I heard 3
      NORTHERN PYGMY-OWLS, 2 WESTERN SCREECH-OWLS and 1 GREAT HORNED OWL. All
      three of these could be heard close up and clear at the trailhead of the
      Eden Valley Trail. Further south near the intersection of Eickhoff Road I
      heard a BARN OWL fly over.
      After sunrise I was at Rodman Slough where a flyover PEREGRINE
      FALCON adult was my 199th Lake County bird. Try as I could, I couldn't turn
      up another at Robinson Lake, although Floyd Hayes's report from yesterday
      had three that I 'need'. I walked south from the parking lot along the
      trail which goes quite far back. There was a lot of warbler activity,
      mostly Yellow Warblers. The most interesting bird I could find was a WILLOW
      FLYCATCHER in the buttonwillows. I was impressed how the ratio of
      Clark's/Western Grebes is much higher here than on Lake Mendocino.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA