Mendocino County

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19, 2005
      The highlight of several days of birding in Mendocino was of course Toby's fantastic discovery of the wagtail.
      Another excellent bird was the third county record for Red-eyed Vireo that Ron LeValley found at Chadbourne Gulch on Saturday. I was able to see that bird (thanks to Ron).

      On Wednesday evening September 14th on Mountain View Rd there was a calling Long-eared Owl.
      On Saturday September 17th (before the really good birds were found!) I had a Chestnut-sided Warbler and a Blackpoll Warbler in a large flock at Wages Creek.

      Today September 19th I refound the Lark Bunting at the location described by Chuck. Also at Virgin Creek Beach there was a Red Knot. Jerry White

    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20, 2005
        On Sunday the 18th an AMERICAN BITTERN, a BLACK-NECKED
        STILT, five MARBLED GODWITS, six PECTORAL SANDPIPERS
        and a LESSER YELLOWLEGS were at Robinson Lake. I saw
        five species of warblers including a MACGILLIVRAY'S
        WARBLER at Rodman's Slough. At Borax Lake there was a
        BLUE-WINGED TEAL, six CINNAMON TEAL, a REDHEAD, two
        RING-NECKED DUCKS and no shorebirds other than
        KILLDEER. A female COMMON MERGANSER was at Clearlake.

        Too bad I didn't find out about the wagtail earlier!
        Is it still being seen?

        Floyd Hayes
        Hidden Valley Lake, Lake County
      • Jerry White
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2005
          Yesterday morning (October 8th) Nikki White and I saw the Snow Goose at Lake Cleone and found the Pacific Golden-Plover on the beach near the Laguna Pt parking lot. There was also a Pectoral Sandpiper at Glass Beach. JRW