Lark Bunting at Virgin Creek

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2005
      Greetings Mendobirders: Yesterday evening (9/17), while chasing the
      Yellow Wagtail, Steve Howell found a Lark Bunting on the south side of
      Virgin Creek. The bird was refound late this afternoon (9/18) by many
      observers from today's Shearwater Journeys pelagic trip. I am reporting it
      now because I don't see any other reports of the bird today, and am not
      certain if local birders are aware of its presence. The bird was in the
      short grass on the flat ridge just above and to the south of Virgin
      Creek. It appears to be a first-year male. It stayed in this area, quite
      a ways west of the Haul Road, even when it flushed from human approach. We
      did not see the Yellow Wagtail. I will let Debi Shearwater make her report
      on the pelagic, but there were no rarities seen today.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482