Owls

  • Bean L.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2005
      Sunday, 9/12 4:30pm
      at Montgomery Woods S.R., 200m uphill south-east of
      the Kellieowen grove, I saw one Barred Owl swooping
      away from me as I walked up the trail away from the
      grove. It perched in a tree perhaps 50m away. I think
      I had startled it out from where it had undoubtedly
      been resting calmly, because that's what it did for
      the next 15 minutes, with one open eye occasionally on
      me.

      Saturday, 9/11 3pm
      at Van Damme S.P., I saw what looked like one of the
      giant 8" graypine cones that you see in the Sierra
      foothills at the end of a 5-ft dead branch on a snag.
      I thought I'd bino in for a better look because the
      unmoving and dark shape really ought not to have been
      a cone, not 'round there, anyway. Indeed: it was a
      Northern Pygmy Owl, which watched me a moment before
      unconcernedly returning its gaze to the ground 16ft
      below itself. Before another couple minutes went by it
      snatched what looked like a 2" black bug from the
      ground and re-alignted to eat it in 3 pieces.

      http://mail.yahoo.com