Van Damm

  • Talon Tours
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2005
      Hi all,
      Becky Olsen and I spent this weekend in the vicinity of Mendocino. An interesting observation along the trail beside Little River in Van Damm State Park involved a group of 5 Gray Jays feeding enthusiastically on a pinkish colored fungus growing off a Doug Fir snag. Does anyone have any information on this behavior. There was also, a Western Schreech Owl calling at 3pm.

      Other sightings include a Pacific Golden Plover and a Wandering Tatler along Mendocino Headlands. Red-throated Loons were off-shore and a Fox Sparrow was at the mouth of Big River.

      Ken Wilson