Inland - Ten Mile River

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2005
      Hi birders,
      This morning, Jim and I drove up the old Georgia Pacific (now Hawthorne
      Timber) road along the north fork of Ten Mile River. Note: this road is
      only available on weekends!

      We saw 2 juvenile PECTORAL SANDPIPERS (Karen) at the low bridge,
      east of Hwy 1. At 2-3 miles up the road, we saw a BLACK-THROATED
      GRAY WARBLER (Jim) and a RED-BREASTED (Daggetti) SAPSUCKER
      (Jim) in a large, mixed flock. Further on, approximately 5 or 6 miles up
      the paved road, we watched a juvenile SHARP-SHINNED HAWK (Karen)
      fly up from a low perch to circle with Red-tails and TV's.

      Entrance to this unmarked road is south of Ten Mile River bridge across
      from the large pull-out with big rock and gravel piles. Remember not to
      try birding here on weekdays -- too many logging and gravel trucks. But,
      there were bicyclists and other people in cars on outings today (Sunday).
      We believe that the "no trespassing" signs apply only if you leave the
      paved roadway. So, just stay on the road. It is wide enough to pull over
      to park. There are private residences for several miles up the road to the
      active Hawthorne Timber property.

      Karen (& Jim) Havlena