Mendo Coast 9/4

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2005
      Greetings Mendobirders: Matthew Matthiessen, George Chaniot, and I spent
      the day on the coast. We didn't see anything hugely rare, but there were a
      number of birds of local interest. On Miner Hole Road we had 2 flyover RED
      CROSSBILLS. At the mouth of the Garcia River, viewed from above on the
      south side, we saw a RED KNOT and 19 MARBLED GODWITS. On the beach at
      Virgin Creek we saw 2 LONG-BILLED CURLEWS and 8 more MARBLED GODWITS. Only
      local birders can appreciate having seen 27 MARBLED GODWITS along this
      coast in a day! The 2 REDHEADS continue at Lake Cleone. On 9/2, there
      were 2 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS on the north oxidation pond at the Ukiah Sewage
      Treatment Plant. The 4 BLACK-NECKED STILTS continued, as did 2 BAIRD'S
      SANDPIPERS. WILLOW FLYCATCHERS were along the Russian River there.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482