Lake Mendocino 26 Aug

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26 6:30 PM
      Fri, 26 Aug 2005 -- Lake Mendocino is still pretty much in its summer
      aspect, but a few birds are starting to move in. Today there were two EARED
      GREBES in the middle of the north end still in breeding plumage. At Pomo A
      there was one adult BLACK-NECKED STILT on the shoreline. The last report
      from USTP was of three stilts; could this be the fourth bird gone forth to
      the lake? This is a new bird on my provisional list of Lake Mendocino birds
      <http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/LM_listv1.html>
      Summer loons are uncommon on inland waters, but I saw one on July 25,
      possibly a Pacific Loon, two Common Loons near the dam on Aug 12, and today
      a COMMON LOON near Miti campground.
      There was also a single CASPIAN TERN flying near the dam.( Jim
      Armstrong reports a flock of about 25 Caspian Terns on Aug 24 flying over a
      house he is roofing in Potter Valley. I saw a similar flock when I was
      roofing my house in Potter Valley on Aug 25, 2001. These flocks of Caspians
      flying overland are turning out to be confined to a narrow time slot in
      August.)
      I heard PILEATED WOODPECKERS at three locations around the lake
      today. I am also seeing them in my neighborhood flying into vineyards where
      I suspect they are indulging their appetite for grapes.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA