Eel River

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2005
      Thu, 18 Aug 2005 -- This week (15-18 Aug) I worked on steelhead
      reproduction surveys in the Eel River between Van Arsdale Dam and Dos Rios.
      Most of the stretch between Van Arsdale Dam and Outlet Creek is seldom
      birded because access is through private property. Birding was incidental
      to other activities, and there were no surprises, but it was interesting to
      note that AMERICAN DIPPERS were present at every location I visited: 3/4 mi
      below Van Arsdale, Thomas Creek, 3/4 mile below the Hearst bridge, Covelo
      Road mp 11.14. Also at milepost 11.14 on the Covelo Road there was a CANYON
      WREN in a pile of boulders on the far bank (Sorry, I forgot to mention
      that, Roger.)

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley ,MEN, CA

      Wood Duck
      Common Merganser
      California Quail
      Turkey Vulture
      Golden Eagle
      Red-shouldered Hawk
      American Kestrel
      Mourning Dove
      Black Phoebe
      Acorn Woodpecker
      Pileated Woodpecker
      Violet-green Swallow
      Steller's Jay
      Western Scrub-Jay
      Common Raven
      American Dipper
      Canyon Wren
      Western Tanager
      Song Sparrow
      Spotted Towhee
      California Towhee
      Lesser Goldfinch
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
        Tue, 04 Oct 2005 -- I've spent the last two days along the Eel River near
        Potter Valley visiting multiple locations from Thomas Creek in Mendocino to
        Bloody Rock in Lake County. I saw AMERICAN DIPPERS at the mouth of Tomki
        Creek and at Bloody Rock and sign of them almost everywhere. There was an
        adult BALD EAGLE at Cape Horn Dam. I also note the GREATER WHITE-FRONTED
        GOOSE is still with the domestic geese just below Cape Horn Dam. It first
        showed up as a juvenile in Sep 1997 and fell into bad company.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2014
          4-8 Aug 2014 -- This last week I have been working in the Mainstem Eel River
          visiting seven locations between Cape Horn Dam and Dos Rios. It was smoky
          and not very birdy most of the time, but I did see AMERICAN DIPPERS at three
          of the seven sites, all without public access. I also saw one CANYON WREN
          at a public access site along Route 162 near milepost 10.77 on Aug 7. There
          is a broad pullout on the river side of the road with a rocky riffle below.
          I saw the wren fly across the river landing on some rocks in midstream then
          continuing to the near bank where it disappeared into a group of rocks. I
          have seen Canyon Wren at this location once in past years - but not
          regularly. This is several miles upstream from the Dos Rios Bridge which
          has been a productive area in recent years.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA