Etsel Ridge

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
      Hello,
      We took our first drive up Etsel Ridge Road Thursday. We got off to a
      late start, so we missed a few target species. . . but, we will return!
      We only encountered four other vehicles the entire time (so, mid-week
      trips are good, if you can take the time).
      Highlights included watching a family of 4 MOUNTAIN QUAIL as they
      crossed the road. This was 10:50 AM, 4.7 miles up M1 from the Eel
      River Campground, still outside the National Forest.
      We also saw a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, 28.5 miles from the Eel R.
      Cpgd. The road got quite rocky there, so we headed back north.
      Also, in a spruce grove near Grizzly Flat, we saw HAMMOND'S
      FLYCATCHER, lots of MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES, NASHVILLE &
      HERMIT WARBLERS, and many Red-breasted Nuthatches and
      Dark-eyed Juncos.
      Thanks to Toby, Art and George for their help.
      ---- Karen & Jim Havlena
      Fort Bragg