Caspian Terns

  • choatzin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 17, 2005
      This evening at 7:15PM, Geoff and I saw and heard a flock of what we
      believe to be Caspian Terns heading southeast over our place off Old
      River Road, three miles south of Talmage. They were flying way up
      there in a loose flock of about fifty birds, visible only as
      glittery specks to the unassisted eye. The big white birds with
      black wingtips were croaking distinctively.

      Cheryl Watson
      Ukiah, CA
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9 2:14 PM
        Today just after noon, a flock of 12 northbound Caspian Terns flew over
        the west end of Middle Ridge in Albion, about one mile inland from the
        beach. They did this last year around this time, too.

        Cheers,
        Tim
      • George Chaniot
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
          Mon, 07 Jul 2008 -- This morning at about 09:00 two CASPIAN TERNS, making
          their characteristic squawk, flew high over the end of Burris Lane in Potter
          Valley headed SE toward Clear Lake. The only other records here have been in
          late August.
          Some other unseasonal records in recent weeks were three PINE SISKINS at
          my feeders (Jun 11, 25, 30), and a male GREATER SCAUP (Jun 27) on the East
          Road Pond. The TRICOLORED BLACKBIRD colony on East Road is rapidly
          disbanding as the second nesting comes to an end. There is a creche of
          about 80 juveniles in a nearby cattail marsh that is being attended by
          adults, but numbers are down from about 400 last Thursday.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA
        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
            13 April 2009 - Flocks of Caspian Terns, about a dozen at a time, are
            flying north over the west end of Middle Ridge in Albion this
            afternoon/evening.

            Also, yesterday we had a bright male Wilson's Warbler, first one I've
            seen on this property.

            Cheers,
            Tim Bray
            Middle Ridge, Albion
          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 21, 2010
              Wednesday 21 April 2010 - Caspian Terns are flying north over Middle
              Ridge, Albion, about one mile inland. This seems a week or two earlier
              than I usually see them. Has anyone else kept track of when they go by?

              Cheers,
              Tim