Stilt Sandpiper

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2005
      Luke Cole and I were at Virgin Creek about 11:30 AM today . We did not find the Stilt Sandpiper.

      However a group of us (15 or more birders) just off the Shearwater boat trip did have great looks at the bird on Sunday at about 5:00 PM; thanks to Roger Foote who met us at the dock with the news.

      Congratulations to Roger on his discovery and special thanks to him, to George Chaniot and Toby Tobkin for their phone calls
      and all their efforts to notify the local birders of this excellent county bird.

      Today Luke Cole and I birded the coast from Juan Creek to Ft. Bragg. By 1:00 PM we had about 85 species. We found nothing exceptional but of interest were; a Marbled Murrelet and Purple Martins at Juan Creek, a large flyover flock of Marbled Godwits (I believe Luke counted 27 birds) and a Lark Sparrow at the Westport Headlands. We ran across 3 or so good sized flocks of mixed passerines which included migrant Wilson's Warblers, Yellow Warblers, a few Orange-crowned Warblers, Western Wood-Pewees and a Cassin's Vireo or two. Not a lot of diversity yet.

      Luke continued south on Hiway 1 trying to reach 100 in Mendocino County for the day. I went inland to the Ukiah Treatment Ponds where I found 3 Baird's Sandpipers and a Wilson's Snipe. JRW

    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
        Toby Tobkin just reported the Stilt Sandpiper continuing at Lake Cleone on
        the beach side of the haul road.

        It was also present when I stopped by last night around 6:30 pm. I was also
        fortunate to see the Stilt Sandpiper in Eureka at the Palco Marsh yesterday
        around noon, so I may be the first to see (and photograph) Stilt Sandpipers
        in both Humboldt and Mendocino in the same day! Is that my fifteen minutes
        of fame?

        Ron LeValley
        Mad River Biologists
        920 Samoa Blvd., Suite 210
        Arcata CA 95521
        Cell: 707/496-3326
        Office: 707/826-0300
        Fax: 707/826-0300
        ron@...
        www.madriverbio.com

        For a free natural history "Occasional Picture of the Day" in your e-mail,
        contact Ron@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 13, 2011
          The Stilt Sandpiper at the UWTP has been here all day. 9/13/11