Stilt Sandpiper

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2005
      Sun, 14 Aug 2005 -- 11:00 Roger Foote and Dorothy Tobkin just phoned me
      from Virgin Creek beach where they were looking at a STILT SANDPIPER. It
      was wading in Virgin Creek where it crosses the beach. Second county
      record?

      George Chaniot
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2005
        Sun, 14 Aug 2005 -- When I arrived at Virgin Creek at 3:15 p.m., Karen and
        Jim Havlena were already on the STILT SANDPIPER. It is a juvenile in fresh
        plumage, and I got good scope-filling views at close range. Over the next
        hour and a quarter it foraged along the creek on both the east and west
        sides of the bridge and was always in view from the bridge. Most of the
        time it was by itself, but sometimes it seemed to associate with a Greater
        Yellowlegs.
        I also saw a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER high on the outer beach in the wrack
        and several RUDDY TURNSTONES.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA

        >Sun, 14 Aug 2005 -- 11:00 Roger Foote and Dorothy Tobkin just phoned me
        >from Virgin Creek beach where they were looking at a STILT SANDPIPER. It
        >was wading in Virgin Creek where it crosses the beach. Second county
        >record?
        >
        >George Chaniot
      • Jerry White
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2005
          Luke Cole and I were at Virgin Creek about 11:30 AM today . We did not find the Stilt Sandpiper.

          However a group of us (15 or more birders) just off the Shearwater boat trip did have great looks at the bird on Sunday at about 5:00 PM; thanks to Roger Foote who met us at the dock with the news.

          Congratulations to Roger on his discovery and special thanks to him, to George Chaniot and Toby Tobkin for their phone calls
          and all their efforts to notify the local birders of this excellent county bird.

          Today Luke Cole and I birded the coast from Juan Creek to Ft. Bragg. By 1:00 PM we had about 85 species. We found nothing exceptional but of interest were; a Marbled Murrelet and Purple Martins at Juan Creek, a large flyover flock of Marbled Godwits (I believe Luke counted 27 birds) and a Lark Sparrow at the Westport Headlands. We ran across 3 or so good sized flocks of mixed passerines which included migrant Wilson's Warblers, Yellow Warblers, a few Orange-crowned Warblers, Western Wood-Pewees and a Cassin's Vireo or two. Not a lot of diversity yet.

          Luke continued south on Hiway 1 trying to reach 100 in Mendocino County for the day. I went inland to the Ukiah Treatment Ponds where I found 3 Baird's Sandpipers and a Wilson's Snipe. JRW

        • Ron LeValley
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
            Toby Tobkin just reported the Stilt Sandpiper continuing at Lake Cleone on
            the beach side of the haul road.

            It was also present when I stopped by last night around 6:30 pm. I was also
            fortunate to see the Stilt Sandpiper in Eureka at the Palco Marsh yesterday
            around noon, so I may be the first to see (and photograph) Stilt Sandpipers
            in both Humboldt and Mendocino in the same day! Is that my fifteen minutes
            of fame?

            Ron LeValley
            Mad River Biologists
            920 Samoa Blvd., Suite 210
            Arcata CA 95521
            Cell: 707/496-3326
            Office: 707/826-0300
            Fax: 707/826-0300
            ron@...
            www.madriverbio.com

            For a free natural history "Occasional Picture of the Day" in your e-mail,
            contact Ron@...

            Sun, 14 Aug 2005 -- 11:00 Roger Foote and Dorothy Tobkin just phoned me
            from Virgin Creek beach where they were looking at a STILT SANDPIPER. It
            was wading in Virgin Creek where it crosses the beach. Second county
            record?

            these addresses:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 13 2:19 PM
              The Stilt Sandpiper at the UWTP has been here all day. 9/13/11