Mendo Coast 5 Aug

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 8:12 PM
      Fri, 05 Aug 2005 -- Today Chuck Vaughn and I birded the Mendocino coast
      from Point Arena north to Juan Creek. First we made a brief stop at the
      Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant where the 6 WILSON'S PHALAROPES and 1
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE continued from yesterday. On Mountain View Road we
      had a BLUE GROUSE in the middle of the road about halfway between Boonville
      and Manchester.
      We found RUDDY TURNSTONES at two locations: one at the mouth of the
      Garcia River and two at Virgin Creek Beach. We saw 4 ELEGANT TERNS flying
      along the coast south of the Navarro River, and 2 PURPLE MARTINS at the
      mouth of Caspar Creek.
      At Virgin Creek Beach there was a LONG-BILLED CURLEW and the
      bird-of-the-day, a PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER, still mostly in breeding plumage.
      This bird was among the Black-bellied Plovers on the beach just north of
      the creek outlet and later by itself in the dunes very close to the haul
      road.
      Finally, at Juan Creek north of Westport we saw 6 MARBLED MURRELETS
      offshore and a pair of PURPLE MARTINS carrying food under the bridge over
      the creek.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA