MCAS September Speaker

  • Charlene McAllister
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      Mendocino Coast Audubon is pleased to announce that the speaker for our
      September 19, 2005 meeting will be Peter Pyle who will present:

      The Great Trans-Pacific Migrations from Albatross to Turtles and Sharks to
      Shorebirds.

      The Pacific Ocean covers over 69 million square miles of, for the most

      part, hostile territory for migrant animals. No place to land and little to

      eat. Yet many species need to navigate these waters to take advantage of

      seasonal food resources or protected areas to raise their young. Through

      the advent of state-of-the art satellite tag technology we are discovering

      some amazing things about how far these animals travel and the methods they

      use to get there. Whereas north-to-south migrations are considered the

      norm, there is a strong, here-to-fore unrecognized east-to-west component

      to Pacific migrations. We'll travel from Siberia to Baja California, the

      Gulf of the Farallones to Hawaii, and Indonesia to Point Reyes, in quest of

      some of these great trans-Pacific migratory pathways.

      For those not familiar with Peter, he has been working for the Institute for
      Bird Populations since 1996. He attended Swarthmore College during the
      1970's while working seasonally on the Hawaii and other Pacific Forest Bird
      Surveys. Peter did an internship for PRBO's Palomarin and Farallon Island
      Landbird Program in 1980 and in 1985 he became a biologist on the Farallon
      Islands, a post he held until 2003. During this period and while splitting
      time with IBP, Peter authored or co-authored over 100 peer-reviewed papers
      and three books. Among bird banders, he is best known for his
      Identification Guide to North American Birds, Part 1, which includes
      detailed criteria for ageing and sexing landbirds in the hand. He is
      currently working on Part 2, which will cover waterbirds, raptors and
      gamebirds

      Monday, September 19, 2005 7:00 p.m. Caspar Community Center

      For further information, call 937-1742 or 964-6362

      Charlene McAllister
      P.O. Box 332
      Little River, CA 95456
      707-937-4463