RE: [Mendobirds] Digest Number 803

  • Karin Wandrei
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2005
      Yesterday I was swimming at the Pomo site at Lake Mendo when I looked in the
      vegetation and saw a heron but it didn't look like a little blue. I didn't
      happen to have my binoculars on me (I don't think they work too well in
      water) but I went back to my car got them and when I did, sure enough, the
      bird was still there and it turned out to be a first year green heron! I
      got a good long look at it. It flew a little but kept coming back to the
      vegetation spot. This spot is between the swimming area and the marina.

      From: "Robert J. Keiffer" <rjkeiffer@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:08:30 -0700
      From: "Robert J. Keiffer" <rjkeiffer@...>
      Subject: Summer Period report

      Tuesday, July 26, 2005, Please be aware that the summer reporting period
      is a short one ...only the two months of June and July. If you have any
      noteworthy observations to report that have not already been posted then
      please send them to me shortly after the end of the month or sooner. The
      post-breeding migration of shorebirds has already started ... if you have
      the opportunity try to check them out (coast, Lake Mendocino, USTP, etc.)
      before the end of the month. It is always possible to add species to the
      summer status list ... especially with some of the
      shorebirds. Thanks. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center