Ukiah Sewage Ponds

  • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2001
      Mendocino birders,

      On 8-2-01 I checked the Ukiah Sewage Ponds. Shorebird habitat is poor this
      fall; I saw 1 Least Sandpiper. I suspect the management of the sewage
      ponds could be changed slightly to provide valuable stop-over shorebird
      habitat each fall. The only noteworthy observation I had was of an adult
      Virginia Rail with two jet black downy young (there may have been more that
      I did not see) in the first very first pond you pass on the right on your
      way to the 3 large ponds.

      John E. Hunter
      Arcata, CA